Our chaplains share and demonstrate God’s love to everyone in the Harbour Light community, including staff, clients, and community members. Our spiritual care team is compassionate, authentic, and driven to support each member of our community in their personal journey of faith.
For our residents and staff, the Spiritual Care team leads a daily Reflections service. Each week, participants in our treatment program attend an interactive Spirituality group and a Step Group, both designed to explore the relationship between faith and the 12 step recovery principles.
When requested, the chaplains are available to offer individual spiritual and pastoral care for residents and staff, and can also provide resources for spiritual growth.
In service to our programs and mission, the Spiritual Care team also leads a variety of activities to foster positive social interactions, offer opportunities for adventure, and support the holistic development of our residents. These activities include:
• Hikes and Outings – a monthly opportunity to leave the DTES, get some fresh air and exercise or do fun activities with other clients
• Softball – in the spring and summer, our chaplains assist with softball practices and games on Wednesdays and Fridays
• Art – in the fall and winter, the chaplains co-host a Friday afternoon art room
• Music – choir and music lessons. Music is a growing part of Harbour Light and you’re welcome to join in!
• Men’s Camp – a trip to The Salvation Army’s Camp Sunrise for a weekend of inspirational teaching, fellowship and great outdoor activities.
Our team is mindful that those we serve have varying knowledge and experience with religious and spiritual practices, some of which may have been traumatic. Our chaplains offer a safe environment in which individuals can explore spiritual questions and commence or continue their spiritual or faith journey.
Every effort is made to demonstrate our faith in word and deed and in practical ways. For individuals seeking to explore or return to another faith, our team provides referrals to community supports within various faith communities.