Please note: as part of our COVID-19 Safety Plan, we are not currently accepting practicum placements.
Practicum placements offer post-secondary students an opportunity to engage their growing skill set in a supervised, professional setting. Practicums are time-limited, client-facing, and have defined learning outcomes. We offer limited practicum opportunities in our shelters, addiction services, and correctional programs.
We accept practicum students from programs such as criminal justice, psychology, counselling, health care, and/or social work programs at:
• Douglas College
• Kwantlen (Criminology)
• Stenberg College
• Vancouver Community College (VCC)
Please note that we must have an agreement in place with the post-secondary institution before we can screen potential students for practicum placements. If your school is not on the list above, please ask your academic advisor to reach out to us to set up an Affiliation Agreement. This process can sometimes be lengthy, so it is wise to plan well in advance of your desired placement dates.
How do I apply for a practicum at Harbour Light?
Harbour Light receives more requests for practicum placements than we can accommodate within our programs. Interested students must go through a screening process to ensure an appropriate match between the student’s needs and Harbour Light’s resources.
Students should be prepared to provide the following documentation by email to our Volunteer Coordinator:
• Cover letter, resume, and transcript
• Description of requirements of their practicum (i.e. hours needed, site visit requirements, expected learning outcomes, etc.)
• A recent Criminal Record Review Program clearance (or willingness to undergo clearance through Harbour Light)
• For correctional placements, students must be willing to undergo enhanced security clearance
Program managers will use their discretion in reviewing this information, and make the final decision about a student’s acceptance for practicum placement.